750L Steam Sterilising Trailer
Galvanised Steel Trailer - 1800mm Long
SKU code: 16001STERILIZE750LTRAILER
Pasteurisation is fast, effective, efficient, safe and environmentally friendly. The ever-increasing competitiveness and drive for excellence within the horticultural industry dictates that all production systems must deliver efficient and effective processes.
At the end of the day, rapid growing healthy plants deliver the biggest profit.
C-Mac offers a wide variety of horticultural solutions. In particular, C-Mac manufactures high-quality pasteurisation/sterilisation trailers for the pasteurisation of potting media, tools, pots and propagating trays etc.
Benefits of pasteurisation/Sterilisation
- Elimination of pathogens including Phytophthora, Pythium, Chalara etc.
- Elimination of weed seeds
- Safeguard against crop losses
- Increasing profits with potentially higher crop yields
- Recycle pots and sterilise tools
- Elimination of chemical usage, such as Methyl Bromide, and their disposal
- Environmentally friendly, help satisfy industry regulations
How the Trailer Works
C-Mac´s Pasteurisation/Sterilisation trailers use a mixture of steam and air along with an energy-efficient air recycling system. For pasteurisation, the required temperature of between 60°C and 70°C is achieved with a standard boiler (30 – 50kW). For higher temperatures please consult C-Mac.
Generally the time needed to raise the media to temperature is half an hour but this can vary depending on the media and the boiler size. Treatment time then takes an additional half an hour depending on the application.
Steam generated by an electric boiler is injected into a fan unit which delivers a steam/air mixture to the undercarriage of the trailer. This steam/air mixture is then distributed to the contents of the trailer through a stainless steel perforated sheet. The air within the trailer is then recycled back to the fan unit.
The cool down process is achieved by running the fan with the canopy left on and generally takes between fifteen minutes and half an hour.
Once this process is completed the trailer can be disconnected from the boiler and easily manoeuvred into position (for example a potting shed). Lowering the fold-down sides allows for potting directly from the trailer. Alternatively if the trailer has a tipping mechanism, it can be maneuvered to a hopper and conveyor system.
The best way to reduce lag time is to run multiple trailers in tandem so that as one is being potted from another is being treated. Only one boiler and fan is required!
Some of the main pathogens of concern within the Australian nursery environment include Pythium, Phytophthora and Chalara. All of these fungi can be successfully controlled using steam/air pasteurisation at a temperature of 60°C for 30 minutes.
Pasteurisation can be considered as one of the most effective methods of disease control as it actually kills harmful pathogens rather than just suppress them like many chemical treatments.
Some of the common sources of disease pathogens include soils and river sand, but were you aware peat moss is also a potential source of harmful plant pathogens?
Knowing many nurseries rely on a river sand and peat moss mix for their propagation, pasteurisation is a method whereby growers can guarantee their infant plants have the benefit of starting in disease-free media. Nurseries that have already adopted this method have remarked that there is a definite improvement in plants grown in pasteurised media as opposed to non-pasteurised media.
C-Mac has undertaken research into the effectiveness and benefits of steam pasteurisation and has a number of pasteurisation solutions that can be specially customised to suit your individual requirements.
- Eliminate harmful bacteria and leave beneficial organisms for healthy soil
- Fan forced air/steam mixture accelerates temperature rise
- Return air cowling allows steam to be efficiently recycled
- Reduce double handling, simply disconnect from steam unit and tow the soil to where its needed
- Versatile sides of trailer can be lowered to allow for easy removal of soil or to use as a potting bench
- Removable canopy for easy loading
- Manufactured from 3mm galvanised steel
- Stainless steel perforated base plate
- Front axle pivots for maneuverability
- 14” wheels
- 3 phase 415V
- 750 Litre Capacity Unit
- Dimensions – 1m wide x 1.6m high x 2m long
Advantages of Electric Boilers
- There are no exhaust gases! Therefore flues, heat exchangers or “clean air” equipment are not necessary
- The system is “pollution free”
- No boiler room required
- No fuel storage space required
- Fast response to demand
- Quiet operation
- Minimum maintenance
- PLCTemperature Controller
- 8 inputs
- 4 heat sensor probes
- Provides a data log of each probe – download to a PC
- Software for graphical representation of each temperature probe
- Printouts (see sample graph)
- If requested the PLC controller can calculate average temperatures from probes and send a signal to the fan to adjust temperature.
|Unit Of Measure||ea|